There’s nothing wrong with singing covers of other artists’ songs. In fact, it can be a great way to hone your craft and learn new techniques. But if you really want to make a song your own, there are some things you can do to personalize it and give it your own spin.
What is a cover song?
Simply put, a cover song is something that has been recorded by someone other than the original artist.
Many times, they are recorded by tribute bands or as part of a medley. Sometimes, they’re even recorded by the original artist themselves (like when an artist re-records one of their own songs for a new album).
Why should I make cover?
There are many reasons why an artist might choose to cover a song. Maybe they’re a huge fan of the original artist and want to pay tribute to them. Here is a list of the top reasons why you might want to cover a song:
– To learn new techniques: If you’re just starting out, alongside some singing lessons, covering a song can be a great way to learn new techniques. You can learn how to use your voice in different ways, try out new vocal techniques, and get a feel for how to perform a song.
– To pay homage to an artist you love: If you’re a big fan of an artist, covering one of their songs is a great way to show some admiration. It’s also a way to connect with other fans of the artist and share love for their music.
– To show off your vocal range or skills: Do you have an incredible vocal range? Or maybe you’re just really good at singing. Do a cover and let people know what you’re capable of.
– Improve your instrument skills: If you play an instrument, learning a cover is a great way to improve your skills. You can work on timing, practice your technique, develop your ability to learn by ear and get better at playing with other musicians.
– To add a personal touch: One of the best things about covers is that they give you a chance to put a unique spin on a song. You can change the melody, add lyrics, or even give the song a whole new meaning.
Top tips on How to make a song your own easily
Now that we’ve gone over some of the reasons why you might want to cover a song, let’s take a look at some of the things you can do to make sure your cover is truly unique. Here are our top tips:
1. Change up the melody
One of the easiest ways to make a song your own is to change up the melody. This doesn’t mean you have to completely rewrite the melody, but simply changing a few notes here and there can make a big difference. You might even want to try singing the melody in a different key.
2. Add lyrics
If you’re feeling creative, why not add lyrics to a song? This is a great way to personalize a song and make it truly unique. Just be careful not to change the meaning of the original too much.
3. Change the tempo, style or genre
You can also make a song your own by changing the tempo, style or genre. For example, you could take a slow ballad and turn it upbeat. Or you could take a rock song and give it a country twist. Just have fun with it and see what you can come up with.
4. Put your own spin on the lyrics
If you’re not comfortable adding your own lyrics, you can still put a new spin on the existing ones. Maybe you want to change the point of view or add a personal story. Just make sure you don’t change the original meaning of the song too much.
5. Add instrumentation
If you play an instrument, why not add some instrumentation to a cover? This is a great way to show off your skills and make the song your own. Just be careful not to overdo it – you don’t want your cover to sound like a completely different song.
6. Record a video
Recording a video of a cover song is also a great way to make it your own. You can get creative with the video, adding own visuals and even telling your own story. Just make sure the audio quality is good so people can actually hear you sing.
7. Perform it live
And of course, one of the best ways to make a cover song your own is to perform it live. This gives you a chance to really connect with the audience and show them your passion. Just make sure you practice beforehand so you don’t make any mistakes.
Covering a song is a great way to show off your skills, improve your musicianship and add your own personal touch to a song. Just remember to have fun with it and be creative. These are our top tips on how to make a cover song your own.
Do you have any other tips? Share them in the comments below.
Learn more about type beats
What are some good songs to cover?
There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to choosing a song to cover. Just pick one that you love and that you think you could do justice to. You might also want to consider picking a song that’s in a similar style or genre to your own music so people can see the connection.
Is Karoake considered a cover?
No, karaoke is not considered a cover. Karaoke is its own distinct form of music where people sing along to pre-recorded tracks. In contrast, covers involve taking an existing song and performing it in your own way.
What’s the difference between a cover and a remix?
A remix is a new version of a song that’s been created by adding, removing or changing elements of the original track. In contrast, a cover involves taking an existing song and performing it in your own way.
Can I cover a song that’s already been covered?
Of course! In fact, covering a song that’s already been covered is a great way to put your own spin on it and make it unique. Just make sure you don’t copy the other version too closely – you want people to be able to hear the difference.